Job Requirements & Expectations:
|AltaSteel and its parent company, Arrium Limited, are well-established, global industry leaders. AltaSteel is a scrap-based mini-mill operation located in Edmonton, Alberta. The plant has both melting and casting facilities and a production capability of over 350,000 tonnes of steel billets annually. Specializing in grinding media, flat bar and rebar; the company is an industry leader employing 370 people and generating revenues in excess of $200 million per year.|
As a member of the executive leadership team and reporting to the president of AltaSteel, the Bar Mill Manager is accountable for managing all aspects of its operation to sustainably improve performance of OHS&E, the quality of end-products, operating costs, process and equipment efficiencies to enable flexible production capability to meet the market requirements.
The Bar Mill operation includes a billet reheat furnace, 16 rolling stands for variable sizes and shapes, cut to length, and packaging equipment, warehouse storage, maintenance facilities and associated water treatment services. Reporting to the Bar Mill Manager directly are 2 Bar Mill Superintendents and a Roll Designer. Reporting indirectly are 4 shift supervisors, a Set up Shop Supervisor, a Continuous Improvement Coordinator and over 40 unionized employees. The manager also has a dotted line responsibility to the Superintendent of Bar Mill Maintenance and in turn; Bar Mill Mechanical and Electrical Planners and Supervisors and a Metallurgist.
- Responsible for the day to day operation of the Bar Mill in terms of production, efficiency, safety and maintenance.
- Lead the Rolling Mill Lead Team in developing clear business plan direction to improve business performance.
- Ensure effective design and implementation of business systems and processes to manage OH&S, Environment, People, Customers, Operating processes, Plant & Equipment and financial requirements.
- To take a pivotal role in AltaSteel’s product scheduling, mill loading, product development and improvement programs.
- Establish a culture of continuous improvement within AltaSteel Bar Mill, and using benchmark data, provide a platform to drive our manufacturing competitiveness to the top quartile of steel manufacturers.
- Delivery of low cost bar & other finished products to our customers on time, in specification, and reliably. Build manufacturing capability to allow flexible & reliable operations, allowing our direct customers to reduce inventory – making our business the only Canadian steel supplier capable of delivering this value proposition.
- Lead the Bar Mill organization and implement the AltaSteel Business Plan strategic imperatives.
- The development of a systematic approach in managing the Bar Mill operations to build process capability and lowest product cost:
- Maximise asset condition and performance through efficient operating practices.
- Provide systems of work & ensure understanding & application of the critical safe work systems.
- Development of 5 year Capital Expenditure plans and Major Asset Improvement plans to improve long-term asset condition and optimize operational security.
- Responsible for a PGC budget of $100,000, purchase orders of $50,000, Asset Purchase of $20,000 with an overall budget of approximately 30 million for the Bar Mill.
- Minimum of 5+ years maintenance and operations supervisory experience in steel manufacturing.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Metallurgy
- Demonstrated ability to lead a large scale manufacturing operation with critical safety system requirements.
- Experience in managing a budget of $4,000,000 or more.
- Understanding of the need to model effective leadership behaviours to build clarity in teamwork and to build organizational capability.
- Ability to design sustainable business systems with a clear understanding of change management strategies to enable effective implementation.
- Ability to document and verbally present key messages to broad spectrum of organizational levels (employees through to CEO) including concise written reports.
- Exposure to DuPont safety systems and methodologies. An understanding of the legislative safety requirements
- 1 vacancy
- Permanent, full time employment.
- Worksite located in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Compensation is $145,000 - $155,000 per annum
- This position is eligible for pension, benefits and short term incentive plan.
Posted on May14th, 2014