Manager, MS&D & Heat Treat
Job Requirements & Expectations:
|As an integral part of the AltaSteel leadership team, The Manager of MS&D & Heat Treat is responsible for managing all aspects of AltaSteel scrap receipts, rail operations, shipping, logistics and internal and external Heat Treat facilities. The successful candidate will assist in improving performance of OHS&E, the quality of end-products, operating costs, processes and equipment efficiencies to enable flexible production capability to meet the market requirements.|
- Lead the MS&D and Heat Treat Team to develop clear business plan direction to improve business performance.
- Ensure effective design and implementation of business systems and processes to manage OH&S, environment, people, customers, operating processes, plant & equipment and financial requirements.
- Establish a culture of continuous improvement within AltaSteel MS&D and Heat Treat, and using benchmark data (both internal & external to the AltaSteel business), provide a platform to drive our manufacturing competitiveness to the top quartile of steel manufacturers.
- Delivery of low cost scrap and bar to internal and external customers on time, in specification, and reliably. Build capability to allow flexible & reliable operations, allowing both the AltaSteel value chain & our direct customers to reduce inventory – making our business the only Canadian steel supplier capable of delivering this value proposition.
- Managing departmental and shared site facilities to ensure safe and efficient use of assets
- Managing contract services to support on site operations, ensuring best value and service is delivered to AltaSteel and the MS&D and Heat Treat department.
- The development of a systematic approach in managing the MS&D and Heat Treat department to build process capability and lowest product cost:
- Provide systems of work & ensure understanding & application of the critical safe work systems.
Qualifications & Skills
- Past management experience in rail operations, shipping and logistics, manufacturing, metallurgy or heat treating.
- Understanding of the need to model effective leadership behaviours to build clarity in teamwork and to build organizational capability.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a large scale manufacturing operation with critical safety system requirements.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills aligned with the OneSteel competencies to influence internal and external stakeholders (Managers, Customers, Government Agencies and Service Providers).
- Ability to design sustainable business systems with a clear understanding of change management strategies to enable effective implementation.
- Ability to document and verbally present key messages to broad spectrum of organizational levels (employees through to CEO) including concise written reports.
- Ability to comprehend financial systems, logistics, maintenance and engineering concepts.
- Exposure to DuPont safety systems and methodologies. An understanding of the legislative safety requirements.
- College or University qualifications preferred.
- Background in commercial negotiations.
This is permanent full-time employment, with health benefits, pension plan, income sharing and short term incentive plans.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply please fill out the application form below, or submit a resume by mail, email or fax to: