Mechanical Engineering Superintendent
Job Requirements & Specifications
Working collaboratively with the operation and maintenance departments within AltaSteel, the Superintendent of Mechanical Engineering will provide technical guidance in areas which support process, manufacturing, continuous improvement, and quality assurance.
As the mechanical engineering department lead, this position is responsible for reviewing and approving all engineering design functions as well as supervising and mentoring a team of mechanical engineers and project coordinators such that they are given the tools and knowledge to reach their full potential on the job.
- Provide project management services for large, complex scope continuous improvement and capital projects.
- Manage AltaSteel’s NDT, structural inspection, and crane inspection programs.
- Manage Engineering cost centre and CAPEX portfolios.
- Lead major, unplanned, equipment failure maintenance outages.
- Ensure proposed Change Management processes are followed, ensuring that AltaSteel does not take on unnecessary liability through major deviations from OEM equipment.
- Supervise and mentor junior mechanical EIT’s and technologists.
- Review and authenticate self and key report mechanical and structural designs.
- Develop processes, procedures, and provide guidance on safety and regulatory requirements related to the mechanical discipline.
- Plan, develop and manage plant mechanical and structural upgrades.
- Maintain and improve data collection and information display to facilitate rapid problem solving, and identification of root causes.
- Prepare detailed analysis and complex scope studies and reports of existing mechanical systems.
- Govern AltaSteel’s internal engineering policies and procedures.
- Lead the engineering group’s safety program, including safety meetings, incident investigations, and safety observations.
- Act as APEGA Responsible Member in the mechanical engineering discipline
Qualifications and Skills
- Mechanical engineering degree or engineering technology diploma with P.Eng or P.L. (Eng) designation registered with APEGA.
- 5+ years of experience working as a Mechanical Engineer.
- Experience in managing major projects while setting and maintaining priorities.
- Experience with cranes and rigging design and installation
- Experience with maintenance engineering within an industrial setting.
- Experience in reviewing and approving engineering drawings.
- Experience in 3D solid modeling and FEA.
- Proactive mindset geared towards safety.
- Leadership and problem solving abilities.
- Solid written & oral communication skills.
- Permanent, full time employment.
- Short term incentive plan
- Employer paid benefits and Registered Pension Plan matching.
- Monday to Friday 7:30am to 4:30pm with a 1 hour unpaid lunch.
The deadline to apply is March 29, 2019.