Job Requirements & Expectations:
Reporting functionally to the Supervisor of Steelmaking QA, the Metallographic Lab Analyst is responsible for the on shift operation of the Chem lab. The successful candidate will perform routine sampling, metallurgical lab test work, data entry/analysis and work on a 24 hour shift rotation.
- Routine sample preparation of Steelmaking chemistry and metallographic investigation samples. This includes cutting, grinding, checking of surface quality of ground samples, mounting, polishing, and heat treatment.
- Sample and Heat identification including; order and numbering of samples, heat numbering and determination, segregation sampling and recognition of incorrect sampling, mixed grade sequence cast sampling and recognition of incorrect sampling, types of non-routine samples and method of handling.
- Utilizing the spectrometers to analyze routine & non-routine chemistry samples and all associated reporting functions.
- On-shift heat approval involving heat release criteria, ABIS release methods, holding billets, recognition of abnormal chemistry, mixed grade sequence casting approval, and documentation.
- Microscopic examination of samples to determine inclusion ratings, grain size, and decarburization rating.
- Hardness testing involving jominy and heat treated grinding rod hardness puck samples.
- Act as a point of contact for contractors on the AltaSteel site.
Qualifications and Skills
- Technical diploma preferred; Metallurgy or Materials, Weld Inspectors
and CSGB certified will be considered.
- Strong safety mindset.
- Ability to read and follow policies and procedures.
- Highly detail oriented.
- Working Knowledge of computer systems.
- Qualified first aider is an asset, will train accordingly.
- 2+ years experience working in a lab environment