Mechanical Engineer - P.Eng
AltaSteel is seeking a self-motivated individual to become an essential part of the Engineering team. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing mechanical engineering services to the manufacturing departments and oversight to the plant engineers. A significant focus of this role will be to support the overhead crane integrity program while assisting the plant engineers in problem solving and making engineering decisions related to the plant and equipment.
- Work in a safe and responsible manner and ensure understanding and compliance to the critical safety, environmental and quality working systems.
- Initiate and develop engineering solutions to issues that have been identified by the operations team, as well as provide Mechanical Engineering support to various other projects.
- Design and implement equipment modifications and repair solutions to ensure plant integrity and/or improve safety and reliability.
- Provide oversight and support to the overhead crane inspection and integrity program. Provide input and develop recommendations to improve the program and engineering solutions to mitigate identified deficiencies.
- Work collaboratively with operations, maintenance and technical personnel to resolve plant and system issues
- Oversee the resolution of key technical issues via plant engineers to ensure that technical issues are resolved appropriately
- Act as a mentor for other mechanical engineers.
- Communicate technical learning’s and process changes with teams
- Conduct risk assessments when appropriate and implement actions to properly manage identified risks before proceeding with work.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an APEGA recognized institution
- Registration with APEGA as a P.Eng is required
- 10 years of Mechanical Engineering experience in a heavy industry/manufacturing capacity
- Experience working with overhead cranes is preferred
- Experience with AutoCAD and SolidWorks is required
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Eager to learn and take on new challenges
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated responsible attitude towards safety
- Demonstrated leadership and problem solving skills
- Continually strive to meet our customer goals
- Monday to Friday 7:30am – 4:30pm
- Full-time, permanent opportunity
- Fast paced environment.
- Pre-Employment Zero Tolerance Drug and Alcohol test required.
- High ethics
This job posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.