AltaSteel is seeking a dedicated professional to join the Finance department as the Senior Accountant. Reporting to the Manager, Accounting, the successful candidate will provide finance support to the AltaSteel business.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for improving the performance of the business by providing timely financial reporting as part of the monthly reporting process, involvement in capital evaluations, business planning and other business analysis.
- Completion of routine and non-routine journal entries. requirements
- Record monthly lease journal entries and complete account reconciliations
- Ensure preparation, approval and review of monthly account reconciliations to ensure integrity of the general ledger
- Gain an understanding of shutdowns, projects, manufacturing changes etc. and how they relate to financial performance and in turn work with operations to help them understand their costs
- Recording the cost of newly acquired fixed assets, track existing fixed assets, record depreciation, and account for the disposal of fixed assets.
- Assist with preparing and analyzing the information required for forecasting, budgeting, and 5-year financial planning
- Continuous improvement of accurate inventory recording and stocktaking including slow moving stock.
- Liaise with sales and operational departments to provide timely, accurate financial analysis to assist in ad hoc optimization and ongoing margin analysis
- Deliver consolidated reports and monthly reports to Corporate and Divisional deadlines
- Monitor, audit, and report any DOA infringements
- Assisting with closeout of audit recommendations and actions
- Liaise with external and internal auditors; and tax consultants
Qualifications and Skills
- Post-secondary education with Accounting or Finance focus
- CPA designation
- 5 – 7 years’ accounting experience and ideally 3 years post certification experience
- Previous audit and manufacturing accounting experience considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills combined with a results-oriented business approach.
- Eager to learn and take on new challenges
- Strong problem resolution and analytical skills.
- Experience with Dynamics 365 is an asset
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, ERP and computer skills
- Demonstrated leadership and problem-solving skills
- Full-time, permanent opportunity
- Fast paced environment
- In-office work
- 8-hour shifts, Monday to Friday with a one-hour unpaid lunch
Zero Tolerance Pre-Employment Drug and Alcohol Test Required
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.