Steelmaking Process Engineer
AltaSteel is seeking a self-motivated individual to become an essential part of the Steelmaking operations team. Reporting to the Director, Steelmaking Operations, the successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and optimizing the steelmaking process, leading root cause analyses to investigate abnormal conditions, identifying process improvement opportunities, and providing predictive diagnostic services and expertise to the Operations team to improve AltaSteel’s productivity.
The role demands that the incumbent has the knowledge of the steel melting and casting process or equivalent industrial process - the Steelmaking process engineer is the person who can be delegated the task to problem solve a safety / operational issue.
- Work in a safe and responsible manner & entrench safe work practices.
- Drive improved plant availability through designated projects which align with Melt Shop Business Plan
- Benchmark operating parameters & drive towards achieving ‘best practice.’
- Manage steelmaking costs to achieve the best 'profit'
- Establish key measures & targets to drive behaviors in achieving key business outcomes
- Drive the commitment to improved asset utilization via improved equipment reliability
- Develop & drive plant improvement initiatives by identifying process bottle necks / processing limitations
- Manage solution implementation from scope through to successful commissioning, using internal and external resources.
- Ensure the documentation systems are maintained and reflect current operational practices, capturing key set-up and operational parameters; and deployment is effective & audited.
- Participate in daily process monitoring in Steelmaking including attending morning meetings, monitoring SM process KPIs, and reporting on SM process abnormalities.
- Identify opportunities to improve our competitiveness in the market, via process enhancements and product development.
- Identify and / or collaborate and / or lead new product trials or continuous improvement initiatives on current billets.
- Work with steelmaking leadership (in particular, Front Line Supervision and department manager) to increase their technical knowledge and decision-making capabilities.
- Supervise and direct employees and contractors as required, to ensure safety and operational requirements are met.
- Assist with plant operations and maintenance troubleshooting
- Communicates technical learning’s and process changes with teams
Qualifications & Skills
- in Materials or Metallurgical Engineering
- Six Sigma Green Belt or equivalent certification
- Registered with APEGA as an EIT or P.Eng or P.L. (Eng.)
- Five Years’ experience working in a heavy industrial environment, ideally with experience in steel melting and casting.
- Knowledge of steelmaking refractory systems is be considered an asset.
- Computer skills, statistical tools knowledge / experience.
- Proven track record in problem solving.
- Ability to communicate and influence with all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to manage a number of projects and priorities to a timeline and budget, while realizing project benefits
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated responsible attitude towards safety
- Demonstrated leadership and problem solving skills
- Continually strive to meet our customer goals
- Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 4:00pm
- Competitive salary package.
- Full-time, permanent opportunity
- Fast paced environment
The deadline to apply for this position is March 4, 2021.