Lead Mechanical Engineer
Working collaboratively with the operation and maintenance departments within AltaSteel, the Lead Mechanical Engineer will provide technical guidance in areas which support process, manufacturing, continuous improvement, and quality assurance.
As a lead in the Engineering department, this position is responsible for reviewing and approving all engineering design functions as well as leading and mentoring the team of Engineers such that they are given the tools and knowledge to develop and succeed.
- To provide project management services for large, complex scope continuous improvement and capital projects
- Utilize and manage contract Engineers and engineering consulting firms to deliver on projects within defined timelines
- Manage Engineering Cost Centre as well at the CAPEX portfolio.
- Lead Major unplanned maintenance outages with respect to major failures in equipment
- Ensure proposed Change Management Processes are followed, ensuring that AltaSteel does not take on unnecessary liability through major deviations from OEM equipment
- Mentor junior Mechanical EIT’s and technologists and review and authenticate self and key report electrical and controls designs
- Provide guidance on safety and regulatory requirements related to the electrical discipline
- To plan, develop and manage plant upgrades
- Maintain and improve data collection and information display to facilitate rapid problem solving, and identification of root causes
- To prepare detailed analysis and complex scope studies and reports of existing mechanical systems
- To govern AltaSteel’s internal engineering policies and procedures, including change management
- Lead the engineering group’s safety program, including monthly safety meetings, investigating incidents within the engineering group, and performing safety observations
Qualifications and Skills:
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or Engineering technology Diploma with P.Eng or P.Lic (Eng) designation registered with APEGA.
- 7+ years of experience working as Mechanical Engineer with proven experience managing contract Engineers to complete projects within specified timelines
- Experience in managing major projects while setting and maintaining priorities
- Experience in maintenance engineering within an industrial setting
- Experience in reviewing and approving engineering drawings
- Experience in 3D solid modeling and FEA
- Excellent communication, organization and teamwork skills
- Proactive mindset geared towards safety
- Leadership and problem solving abilities
- Solid written & oral communication skills
- Permanent, full time employment
- Short term incentive plan
- Employer paid benefits and Registered Pension Plan matching
- Monday to Friday 7:30am to 4:30pm with a 1 hour unpaid lunch